Monday, January 24, 2011

Honey, I need some... more wheels!


One day, towards the end of the summer of 2006, Adam came home to tell me he wanted a Volkswagen Beatle. He had been down to Springville and seen the coolest one ever. It even had a roof rack. Apparently, he had always wanted one and I had just never heard of it. This was strikingly similar to how he had always wanted a scooter, too. His taste in cars was uncannily similar to that of our brother-in-law, Chris, with whom Adam had become best friends.

Well, by this time we did own a Saturn station wagon which I drove to work and school, but with winter looming ahead of us, we decided Adam needed something other than the scooter for himself. So, he started shopping. The sweet bug in Springville being too expensive, he started looking online for deals. And boy did he find one!

There was a bug in Idaho that was available for a mere $500. Granted, it needed some cosmetic TLC, but Adam was more than willing to make it his new hobby. We discussed it and decided to give it a try. So, one afternoon, Adam and Chris drove up to Idaho to collect the bug, which was supposedly in perfect running order when they picked it up. By the time they towed it down to Provo, it had mysteriously ceased to work. Adam and Chris would spend the next several months taking the engine apart and putting it back together.

The best part about all of this was Adam's ridiculously happy attitude about it. I think if I had driven all that way to make such an important purchase, I would be furious to discover it was in such bad shape. But not Adam. He took it in stride, laughed about it, and set to learning how to fix the problems. He was disappointed, but he didn't let it spoil his fun. Thank goodness we just happen to have a VW expert in the family!

One day I came home from work to find filthy car parts on the floor of the shower, with mud and dirt splashed all around the bathroom. Adam was happily cleaning the engine as he disassembled it. He even made sure to clean up the bathroom when he was finished. He loved working on that car and learning how to repair it. I was and am grateful to have a husband who is willing to learn new things, to work hard for his family, and who keeps such a positive attitude about it. I'm also grateful for a brother-in-law who can rebuild a VW engine in his sleep. :)

Rebuilding the engine on Julie's kitchen counter.

He seems to be enjoying himself. Such a nerd. :)

3 comments:

julie said...

i didn't realize how much i would miss those greasy car parts on my kitchen counter. he was like a little boy about that car, so excited about everything to do with it. my favorite thing was how he would go sit outside and just look at it. sweet guy.

julie said...

i didn't realize how much i would miss those greasy car parts on my kitchen counter. he was like a little boy about that car, so excited about everything to do with it. my favorite thing was how he would go sit outside and just look at it. sweet guy.

C, J, T, and M said...

I totally remember that. There really were little nerds always talking about those VW bugs! It brings a smile to my face to think about it. :)