Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I had a Devil of a time finding a suitable basket...


This might be a little out of order but I get my dates mixed up a lot and I just want to talk about this tonight.  This is one of the many, many reasons I love and adore Adam Ross Cox.

One Thursday afternoon I accompanied Julie and the kids to the splash pool just down the road from her house.  I had gotten off work at noon but Adam had to stay until 5 pm.  When he got off duty he came to pick me up and informed me that we were going out that evening.  I had no idea what he was scheming, but I could tell it was going to be awesome.  

While I was getting myself cleaned up and free from sunblock and chlorine, Adam was out running errands and getting everything set for our date.  When Adam came home to pick me up, he had the car packed with a blanket, camp chairs and a full picnic basket.  I thought I had it figured out.

But then he got on the interstate.  And then he drove for  half an hour.  This was going to be some picnic site, I figured.  He didn't stop until we reached an outdoor amphitheatre.  And what show was playing that night?  None other than The Scarlet Pimpernel!  That's right!  My adorable husband had heard an advertisement on the radio that day and thought, "Mel would love that!" and decided to make it happen.  

I loved the whole experience.  We got seats in the grassy section in the back which actually seemed to have a better view than the real seats upfront.  Picnics were encouraged here and Adam had done an excellent job preparing ours which featured sub sandwiches, one of our favorites.  The show was great.  I had seen it before but Adam hadn't and I loved sharing the experience with him.  The Scarlet Pimpernel is my most favorite novel.  I always liked the fact that it starts where most novels end off.  It doesn't end with a blissful wedding.  It begins with an unhappy marriage that is transformed through the events of the plot.  I always loved how Sir Percy adored his wife, even when he couldn't tell her.  I always used to consider him the perfect, most romantic hero.  Well, that was before I met Adam. 

2 comments:

julie said...

yes, i am grinning ear to ear as i read this, picturing the two of you on this outing. i can see adam (grinning ear to ear), so happy to be making you so happy. and you -- i know you were beside yourself with joy. what a wonderful surprise! what a wonderful guy!

C, J, and T said...

That is a very sweet...very THOUGHTFUL date! Props to Adam!