Saturday, March 15, 2008

I'm the Happiest Girl in the Whole U.S.A.

Winter semester started that next Monday.  Adam had gotten a spot in the university orchestra and I was trying to get one myself, but to no avail.  I was really bummed about that.  How cool would it have been for us to be in orchestra together?  Maybe someday.  :)  Anyways, Wednesday was our two month anniversary of our first date and Adam was planning to make a big deal of it.  I had no idea how big, actually.

After our classes were done for the day, Adam and I met up on campus.  We decided to go to the creamery and get some ice cream, just like we did on our first date.  Afterwards, we stopped at Adam's apartment and he again loaned me his green scout jacket since it was a little chilly out.  Then we wandered across campus, reminiscing.  Somehow we ended up at that same tree we had climbed into that first night.  Unfortunately, there was a little stream between the tree and the sidewalk and today it was actually full of water.  (On our first date, the stream had been dry, though quite muddy, we discovered when Adam jumped into it. :)  So we just sat down upon the brick sidewalk and enjoyed the scenery. 

 The next thing I knew, Adam was on one knee presenting me with the most gorgeous sapphire and diamond ring!!!  Ok, I could tell he was going there by his conversation, but I still wasn't expecting it at four o'clock in the afternoon.  And I was wearing his green scout jacket, for pete's  sake!  It was actually the most perfect moment I could have imagined.  


After a while we had to head home so I could babysit my niece and nephews while Julie went to class.  But first we had to share the news with Marmee.  And then Julie and the kids.  And later Becca.  And eventually everybody.  And then Adam had to leave to go to orchestra.  Already I was wishing he weren't in orchestra!  He had tried to get out of it that night.  He even told the director he would be getting engaged that night, but they wouldn't let him miss class.  But that was okay, as it gave me a chance to put on something nicer than a tee shirt and jeans for our dinner date.
  
When Adam got back, he took me to Ottavio's for dinner.  We had the most wonderful time!  The place was empty except for one other table.  It was the perfect place for us to celebrate and it became our special restaurant.  That was the happiest night of my life! (Up until that point, that is.)

2 comments:

julieb said...

YES!!! that was awesome! i remember thinking, "mission accomplished!" you were both so happy when you came over that night! by the way, sorry that photo is so washed out -- i never have been able to operate that camera!

Jon Becca James said...

You two are so beautiful together! I'm glad you said yes!