Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Honey, You Should Really Learn How to Drive

Now that we were engaged, Adam felt it was okay for him to start bossing me around.  I'm only kidding!  However, he did decide that it was imperative his future wife have a driver's license.  You see, I had never taken the time to get my license in high school and it became very difficult to deal with when I came to BYU.  I had no car and I didn't need one.  Plus, in Utah you have to take driver's ed.  So I had just not bothered with it.  But Adam was tired of having to always get a ride home when he would spend the evening at my house.  And Marmee wouldn't hear of him walking.  And he always stayed past the last bus.  So, he decided that meant I had to have a license.  (I guess he didn't have any problems making me drive him home at night).  Really though, it was time I got one.  


Lucky for me, my fiancee just happened to be minoring in driver's ed!  It was already past the deadline to sign up for the BYU class, but Adam pulled some strings and managed to get me in.  It was actually a great class.  I think I was the only native born U.S. citizen there as a student.  In fact, when I told one of my classmates I was from Georgia, she thought I meant the country! I think she was Russian.  We met twice a week in class and then we had driving practice with one of the student teachers.  I was really pathetic to start.  I had trouble with simple parking!  And I can't even describe to you how nervous I was to go out on the roads in traffic for the first time.  (I had driven before with my learner's permit, but it had been years since I had really practiced.)  And then my teacher made me drive on the interstate!!!  I almost got into an accident the first time I drove on I-15!


There were two students paired up with one teacher, so I had to spent half the time being driven around by someone else who didn't know what they were doing.  We actually had a really good time and it was a great experience and wonderful preparation for my driver's test. I'm so thankful to Adam for insisting that I take that class.  


3 comments:

marmee said...

I am grateful, too! :)
And you're right - there was no way I was going to let him walk home late at night alone. Especially when the weather was freezing!

Jon Becca James said...

Good for Adam! And good for you for sticking to it and getting that license! Your description of your first time on the road with the driver's ed instructor reminds me of my experience--nerve racking!

(And I think Adam didn't mind the idea of you driving him home because then he would get some extra time with you. You can't blame him for that:)

The Fifes said...

hey-- just found your blog from julie's. It's fun to read about your courtship, and to get to know adam! Thank you for sharing. I love seeing the pictures too. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of our ward-- girl's camp is going to be so fun for you. You'll do great!
Amber Fife-- foreverfife.blogspot.com