Thursday, December 27, 2007

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day


Friday night I found myself again peering through the plexiglass at the top of the Kimball tower over a cold, silent Provo. Adam and I were again bundled up and cuddling to keep ourselves warm. I think it was even colder than Tuesday night. Everything was working out like a dream. We had had a perfect week: meeting up on campus between classes for lunch or just to visit, designating each other's cell phone ring (when I called him it played "My Girl" and when he called me mine rang "You and I Both"), talking online into the wee hours of the morning, just getting to know each other better.

Adam was going home to Massachusetts for Christmas break as heartbreakingly early as December 17th. He would be gone for three whole miserable weeks!! We began discussing how difficult the separation would be when Adam brilliantly offered a solution: I could come out to stay with his family during part of the break! I was terrified and elated all at once. I'm incredibly shy and I would want to make a good impression on these people. Their opinions mattered a lot! But my shyness had to give way to my extreme joy at the thought of what this invitation meant. I mean, a guy doesn't ask just any girl to fly across the country to stay with his family for a week. I told him I wanted to come but I wasn't sure if I could. I'd have to find a plane ticket I could afford. Of course, he told me he had already started looking for one for me! What a punk! He had no doubt that I would come. But of course, neither did I.

This conversation took place on the top step of the stairwell. I had been driven inside by the freezing winds at the top of the tower. Adam kept going back and forth between keeping watch outside and sitting with me. We were sitting there, discussing my possible travel plans, when he reached over and took my hand in his. He sorta halfway pretended he had done it to help warm me up, but I think he gave up on that when he realized he didn't need an excuse.

1 comment:

marmee said...

Honey,
I've been waiting to read the next installment!:) What happened next?
I love you,
Mom