Saturday, December 1, 2007

I could go on forever with this stuff

The next morning, while visiting at my sister Julie's house, I couldn't refrain from telling her all about Adam, even though all I had to tell was that I had met this amazing guy and how much fun I had had with him. For the first time in history, I was actually looking forward to going to work at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning. My desire to see Adam again was stronger than my fear of him seeing me a little, less polished, shall we say? On Saturdays I was lucky to get to work on time. I didn't bother with what I looked like. Anyway....

Adam came in for continued training around noon on Saturday. I had another new hire coming in to train at the same time. It was hard not to devote my attention completely to Adam. In fact, I'm sure the other guy felt a little awkward at times. It was at this meeting that I discovered Adam had lived in Augusta, Georgia, my hometown, as a child. In Utah, its a miracle if somebody has ever even heard of Augusta, much less been there. I was so excited. Something else we could talk about! He assured me that he had already told me this detail, but I maintain that he never breathed a word of it before.

Well, Adam picked up on the job pretty quickly. He was really the best new hire. And I'm not just saying that because he's now my husband. Seriously. Before long he was working a regular schedule, the hightlight of which was Thursday nights. At one point he told me that he had club meetings twice a month, both on Thursday nights. He was in the HAM radio club and the French Club. Normally, I would have swapped his shift with someone else to avoid the whole issue, but I wasn't about to give up those Thursdays! (I had told Adam that he could make up the time he missed for these meetings by coming in at another time. He later told me he looked at the schedule but couldn't find a time to come in when I would be working, so he didn't bother making up the time. I love him!)

These Thursday nights were spent talking and sometimes training. We talked about everything under the sun. I tried to explain Latin to him, teased him about being a radio nerd, and listened enraptured to stories about France and Morocco, I mean Monaco. (We did occasionally do some real work... but who wants to hear about that?) Christy, the other dispatcher who worked with us, was very good about letting us chat. Adam and I also worked together on Saturday afternoons for a few hours, but these sessions weren't quite as much fun. I always "knew" it was because he had been out on a date the night before and was preoccupied with thoughts about his girlfriend/fiancee. I still hadn't been able to find out if she existed. And it was KILLING me!

3 comments:

Jon Becca James said...

If guys wore engagement rings, that would make it a lot easier for women on the search, wouldn't it? Of course, it doesn't help a guy any if he imagines an engagement ring on the girl he's interested in (unless he's imagining the one he is going to put there!)

Mel, you write so beautifully. You could publish a book when you are done. (I'd buy it too!)

I love you, little sister. I am so excited to see you in a few weeks.

Love, Becca

P.S. How did you like your birthday present?

Hew said...

Mel, I´m so glad you´ve started this blog. A lot of times I feel I didn´t spend enough time with Adam after I got back from my mission, and I feel there was a lot I missed out on. It´s great to hear your stories. I love you, Mel, and I´m so glad to be able to see you in a couple weeks.

love, your brother, matt

Christy said...

OH mel, You said that I was really good to let you guys talk...I say there was no stopping you!!! :-) I loved those thursday night shifts too.